Current Substitute Teachers
Sub Incentives for the 22-23 School Year
We are so excited to be able to offer these incentives to you as a way of saying thank you for your commitment to subbing nearly every day! If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us.
As a valuable member of the Lincoln Public Schools’ team, I am excited to announce the continuation of a substitute teacher incentive to reward your hard work and dedication.
Starting August 15th, each month you choose to substitute for Lincoln Public Schools at least 75% of the days possible, you will receive a $150 bonus.
Additionally, if you choose to substitute all Mondays OR all Fridays possible within a given month you will also receive a $150 bonus.
These incentives will run for the entirety of the 2022-23 school year.
|Sub 75% of possible school days in Sept. (16 of 21 School Days)||$150 bonus|
|Sub every Monday school is in session, Sept. |
9/12, 9/19, 9/26
|Sub every Friday school is in session, Sept. |
9/2, 9/9, 9/16, 9/23, 9/30
|Total potential bonuses for the month||$450 bonus|
Please know that these incentives are applicable to anyone that subs on a daily basis (full or half days), including long term substitute assignments.
We will be running a report each month to identify those who reach each criteria and payment will be added to the next pay check automatically without any additional notification needed from you.
We are so excited to be able to offer these incentives to you as a way of saying thank you for your commitment to subbing nearly every day!
Long Term Subs:
We are creating a preferred long term substitute list. If you are available and willing to sub in long term substitute assignments (more than 10 days in the same assignment), please respond by clicking on the link below and adding your name to the list. We will use this as a priority list that principals can use when they have assignments that need to be filled.
In-Person Chromebook and SmartFind Orientation for Substitute Teachers
To further support instruction in LPS, all subs will need to obtain a LPS Chromebook from Computing Services.
You can start subbing prior to attending the Chromebook Orientation.
To pick up your Chromebook prior to your orientation, call Computing Services Help Desk at (402)436-1735.
Substitute Teacher Laptop Pickup & Tech Orientation
Description: This session is for current LPS substitute teachers to receive a LPS Chromebook and basic instruction on using it to support instruction.
It will also include an overview of SmartFind, the system that substitute teachers use to find and manage their jobs.
Please bring your LPS badge and LPS username so that we can double check against the list of subs provided by Human Resources.
To sign up:
Go to http://lps.org/go/pdcatalog
Search for Course # 24195
Click Register next to the session that you plan to attend
You are now registered and will receive an email confirmation.
If you are new to Chromebooks, be sure to watch the Quick Orientation video embedded in the page. (LPS keyword: YEOW) https://home.lps.org/cs/staff-chromebook-devices/
Technology used in teaching and learning places new expectations on the substitute teachers who ensure our students continue learning while their classroom teacher is away. Subs are also welcome to attend any workshop offered by Computing Services in the catalog.
Helpful Links as you start your substitute position with LPS
SmartFind: Substitute SmartFind User Guide
Substitute Chromebook Page
If you are new to Chromebooks, be sure to watch the Quick Chromebook Orientation video embedded in the page. (LPS keyword: YEOW)
Additional Resources: Taking Attendance in Synergy TeacherVUE, Using Synergy to Take Lunch Count, DAY Sub Accessing Sub Plans in Synergy, Example Sub Slip with Password
A long-term sub shares access with the teacher of record and should use the resources published on the SLIM page in the TeacherVUE areas.
Substitutes are to read and be familiar with the Substitute Teacher Handbook – Guide to Successful Substitute Teaching. Be sure to review the Safety and Security section which includes information about standard response protocols, infection control, and food allergies and the Working with Students section with information on Reporting Child Abuse and Harassment policies. There is valuable information for substitute teachers throughout the entire handbook.
Substitutes are also responsible for knowing the information in the Hourly Employee Handbook. Substitute teachers are highly encouraged to review both handbooks annually. Links to both the Substitute Teacher Handbook and the Hourly Employee Handbook are found below.
Substitute Teacher Applicants
Substitute Teacher applications are now being accepted for the 2021-22 school year.
To apply or view the current list of employment opportunities, click here to enter the Lincoln Public Schools Recruitment System.
Carefully review the three substitute teacher applications described below to select the position you are eligible for (do not apply for more than one).
Applying for the wrong position can delay the hiring process.
- Local Substitute Teachers are individuals who hold a bachelor’s degree or higher in an area other than Education or are currently a college student in a Teacher Program of senior standing (minimum of 60 completed college credit hours) preparing to student teach. This permit allows for a student teacher to sub for their cooperating teacher when absent.
LOCAL SUB APPLICATION PROCESS
- Certified Substitute Teachers are individuals who hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Education and have a Nebraska teaching certificate. Accepted NDE Teaching Certificates are: Professional, Standard, Initial, and State Substitute.
- Certified Substitute Teachers – Current, Former, or Retired Teachers are individuals who have been hired as certified employees (current or former) with Lincoln Public Schools. Must have a valid Nebraska teaching certificate. (This application does not require information that is already within the employee’s file or retaking the Gallup survey as part of the application process.)
In order to prevent processing delays of your application, when completing a substitute teacher application, please be sure to include email addresses for a minimum of three professional references and upload your unofficial transcripts and teaching certificate. Official transcripts and teaching certificate will be required for Human Resources at the time of hire.
Only complete applications will be processed and can take up to 4-6 weeks to finalize. Incomplete applications will be reviewed every two weeks and will be closed if still incomplete. Applicants will be notified via email when they are ready for hire.
Local Substitute Teacher Orientations
After applying for the Local Substitute Teacher position, applicants must attend a mandatory orientation before being considered for employment. Orientations will be held from 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. via Zoom on the following dates:
- Wednesday – May 18, 2022, 1st semester (Fall 2022) Student Teachers are encouraged to attend
- Wednesday – July 13, 2022
- Wednesday – August 3, 2022
- Friday – August 19, 2022
- Friday – September 9, 2022
- Thursday – October 13, 2022
- Wednesday – November 9, 2022
- Tuesday – December 13, 2022
- Friday – January 6, 2023
- Tuesday – February 7, 2023
AFTER you have submitted the LPS Local Substitute Teacher application, email the orientation date you would like to attend to Lisa Kasik at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Orientation Registration” in the subject line. You will receive an email confirmation.
Current Teacher Education Students:
- Review the LOCAL SUB APPLICATION PROCESS
- Should attend an orientation session the semester prior to student teaching.
- Should attend an orientation session in a timely manner to allow the 6 to 8 week certification process to be completed early in the semester of student teaching.
- Meet the Nebraska Department of Education Human Relations requirement before applying to the NDE for certification.
- MUST complete the LPS Local Substitute application prior to registering for the orientation.
Substitute Teacher Advisor Committee, Conferences, and Important Dates
Substitute Essential Information for Success
- Helpful Tips for the Substitute
- LPS District Maps
- Note From Your Substitute Teacher – Elementary
- Note From Your Substitute Teacher – Secondary
- Parking Information for High Schools
- Report to Administrator by Substitute Teacher
- School Directory
- School Start/End Times
- Secondary/Elementary Teacher Calendars
- Substitute Salary Schedule
- Workforce Management (WFM) Payroll Schedule & Dates
- WFM Substitute Pay Policies
- District news and important resources for staff can be found on the LPS Staff Center. Included here are links to the Portal, CORE, Docushare, Zimbra Email/Calendar, Staff Directory, and more.
- Learn how to support student learning in your substitute placement
LPS Student Supports: Effective Classroom Practices
- LPS Professional Learning
- Substituting in Specials presentation
- LPS Curriculum and Instruction
- Nebraska Department of Education
- STEDI Newsletter (subscribe to free biweekly substitute newsletter)
Human Resources support staff contacts:
- Certified substitutes (Teacher, Nurse, Psychologist, SLP): Lisa Kasik, email@example.com, 402-436-1588
- Paraeducator substitutes: Gretchen Molina, firstname.lastname@example.org, 402-436-1583
- OT/PT, Health Tech, Treatment Nurse substitutes: Stacy Grant, email@example.com, 402-436-1382
- Accompanist, Athletic Trainer, Campus Supervisor, Transportation substitutes:
- Office and Nutrition Service substitutes: Cherry Cornell, firstname.lastname@example.org, 402-436-1590