Current Substitute Teachers
Registration is now open for the July 31st Substitute Kick-Off Conference.
All LPS substitutes are invited to attend the Substitute Kick-Off Conference on July 31st via Zoom. The conference will be from 12:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Breakout sessions include Subbing in the Midst of COVID-19, Helping Kids in Crisis, School Safety, WFM & SmartFind, Health Curriculum Update, Secondary Student Support, and Media Center Subbing.
To register, visit the LPS Staff Professional Learning website. Click Login for LPS Staff and search for course #22039. Check your LPS email for additional instructions.
There will be no Professional Growth Points or Salary Advancement Credits awarded for the conference.
For more information on Zoom, go to lps.org and enter keyword Zoom.
2020-21 Reactivation is now closed
The deadline to complete your reactivation for the 2020-21 school year was May 22, 2020. If you did not reactivate by this deadline, your substitute position will be inactivated. You will need to reapply through the LPS job listings page.
Attention Local Substitute Graduates:
To become a LPS Certified Substitute Teacher, it is not necessary for you to complete the Certified Substitute Teacher application since you are already on staff.
All you need to do is have your initial teaching certificate registered in Human Resources. You can bring your certificate to the district office during regular business hours or you can email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
After your certificate is registered, your status will be changed and you will receive an email copy of your registered certificate.
Contact Kren in Human Resources at 402-436-1588 if you have questions about this process.
Substitutes are to read and be familiar with the Substitute Teacher Handbook – Guide to Successful Substitute Teaching. Be sure to review the Safety and Security section which includes information about standard response protocols, infection control, and food allergies and the Working with Students section with information on Reporting Child Abuse and Harassment policies. There is valuable information for substitute teachers throughout the entire handbook.
Substitutes are also responsible for knowing the information in the Hourly Employee Handbook. Substitute teachers are highly encouraged to review both handbooks annually. Links to both the Substitute Teacher Handbook and the Hourly Employee Handbook are found below.
- A day sub MAY BE asked to take attendance electronically if two things are in place. 1) A device (computer or iPad) is available for the sub to use. 2) The school office creates a ‘sub slip’ which includes a password that the sub can use to access attendance, seating charts and lunch count.
- If both of those things are in place, the day sub can use these links for reference:
- If no sub slip containing the password is provided, the sub will take attendance on paper on a slip provided by the office.
- A long-term sub shares access with the teacher of record and should use the resources published on the SLIM page in the TeacherVUE areas.
Substitute Essential Information for Success
- Assembling a Sub Kit
- Helpful Tips for the Substitute
- LPS District Maps
- Note From Your Substitute Teacher – Elementary
- Note From Your Substitute Teacher – Secondary
- Parking Information for High Schools
- Report to Administrator by Substitute Teacher
- School Directory
- School Start/End Times
- Secondary/Elementary Teacher Calendars
- Mileage Reimbursement
- Substitute Salary Schedule
- Workforce Management (WFM) Payroll Schedule & Dates
- WFM Substitute Pay Policies
Substitute Teacher Advisor Committee, Conferences, and Important Dates
Technology as a tool used in teaching and learning is no longer a “sometimes” thing. It is an “every day” thing in LPS. These changes place new expectations on the substitute teachers who keep things running smoothly while our classroom teachers are away. Following is a link to a page that contains helpful resources for substitute teachers who are getting started using some of the most commonly used tech tools across LPS. Subs are also welcome to attend any workshop offered by Computing Services in the catalog. [Note: workshops held in the labs at LPSDO enable a computer for substitute use.]
Chromebook Orientation for Substitute Teachers: To further support instruction for LPS, substitute teachers have the option of checking out a Chromebook from Computing Services. Basic orientation and Chromebook distribution sessions are offered throughout the year. Sign up for a session time via the LPS Professional Learning Catalog.
- District news and important resources for staff can be found on the LPS Staff Center. Included here are links to the Portal, CORE, Docushare, Zimbra Email/Calendar, Staff Directory, and more.
- Learn how to support student learning in your substitute placement LPS Student Supports: Effective Classroom Practices
- LPS Professional Learning
- Substituting in Specials presentation
- Effective Mathematics Teaching & Learning
- Language Arts for Guest Teachers
- Nebraska Department of Education
- STEDI Newsletter (subscribe to free biweekly substitute newsletter)
Substitute Teacher Applicants
Substitute Teacher applications are now being accepted for the 2020-21 school year. Please visit the job listings page to apply.
Please see the LPS Employment Opportunities web page to sign up for the Job Alerts weekly email of job listings.
To apply or view the current list of employment opportunities, click here to enter the Lincoln Public Schools Recruitment System. Carefully review the three substitute teacher applications described below to select the position you are eligible for (do not apply for more than one). Applying for the wrong position can delay the hiring process.
- Certified Substitute Teachers are individuals who hold a bachelor degree or higher in education (or will be graduating soon) and have (or are in the process of getting) a Nebraska teaching certificate. Some teaching certificate examples are: Professional, Standard, Initial, and State Substitute.
- Certified Substitute Teachers – Current, Former, or Retired Teachers are individuals who have been hired as certified employees (current or former) with Lincoln Public Schools. Must have a valid Nebraska teaching certificate. (This application does not require transcripts or retaking the Gallup survey as part of the application process.)
- Local Substitute Teachers are individuals who hold a bachelor degree or higher in something other than education or are teacher education students of senior standing preparing to student teach. This permit allows for a student teacher to sub for their cooperating teacher when absent.
In order to prevent processing delays of your application, when completing a substitute teacher application, please be sure to include email addresses for a minimum of three professional teaching references and upload your unofficial transcripts and teaching certificate. Original official transcripts and teaching certificate will be required for Human Resources at the time of hire.
You will also be asked to complete a Gallup online interview called the Teacher Insight Survey. After you submit your application, you will find a link for the Gallup interview located under the Application Status tab of your account.
Only complete applications will be processed and can take up to 4-6 weeks to finalize. Incomplete applications will be reviewed every two weeks and will be closed if still incomplete. Applicants will be notified via email when they are ready for hire.
Local Substitute Teacher Applicant Information
Local substitute teachers are those who hold a bachelor degree or higher in something other than education or are teacher education students of senior standing preparing to student teach.
Local Substitute Teacher Orientations
After applying for the Local Substitute Teacher position, applicants must attend a mandatory orientation before being considered for employment. Orientations will be held from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the LPS district office on the following dates:
- CANCELLED-Wednesday – May 13, 2020, 1st semester (Fall 2020) student teachers are encourage to attend
- Thursday – August 13, 2020
- Thursday – September 10, 2020
- Tuesday – October 6, 2020
- Thursday – November 5, 2020
- Thursday – December 3, 2020
- Thursday – January 7, 2021
- Tuesday – February 9, 2021
To register: AFTER you have submitted the LPS Local Substitute Teacher application, email the orientation date you would like to attend to Kren Shellhase at email@example.com with “Orientation Registration” in the subject line. Kren will confirm your registration via email.
Teacher Education Students:
- Should attend an orientation session the semester prior to student teaching.
- Should attend an orientation session in a timely manner to allow the 6 to 8 week certification process to be completed early in the semester of student teaching.
- Meet the Nebraska Department of Education Human Relations requirement before applying to the NDE for certification.
- MUST complete the LPS Local Substitute application prior to registering for the orientation.
Human Resources support staff contacts:
- Certified substitutes (i.e. Teacher, Nurse, Psychologist, SLP): Kren Shellhase, firstname.lastname@example.org, 402-436-1588
- Paraeducator substitutes: Tenisa Hall, email@example.com, 402-436-1583
- OT/PT, Health Tech, Treatment Nurse substitutes: Stacy Grant, firstname.lastname@example.org, 402-436-1382
- Accompanist, Athletic Trainer, Campus Supervisor substitutes: Gina Cookus, email@example.com, 402-436-1587
- Office, Transportation, Food Service substitutes: Cherry Cornell, firstname.lastname@example.org, 402-436-1590