Current Substitute Teachers
Registration is now open for the August 6th Substitute Kick-Off Conference!
All LPS substitutes are invited to attend the Substitute Kick-Off Conference to be held on August 6th, 2021 at North Star High School. The conference will be from 12:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Breakout sessions include Standard Response Protocol, Positive Behavior Support, Media Center Subbing, WFM and SmartFind, Cultural Proficiency, Chromebook and Connected Classroom, and our Keynote Speaker, Michelle Welch, LPS Wellness Coordinator.
To register, visit the LPS Staff Professional Learning website. Click Login for LPS Staff and search for course #22039. Check your LPS email for additional instructions.
Seating is limited so register early! There will be no Professional Growth Points or Salary Advancement Credits awarded for the conference.
2021-22 Reactivation is now closed
The deadline to complete your reactivation for the 2021-22 school year was May 26th, 2021. If you did not reactivate by this deadline, your substitute position has been inactivated. You will need to reapply through LPS Employment Opportunities
Attention Local Substitute Graduates:
To become a LPS Certified Substitute Teacher, it is not necessary for you to complete the Certified Substitute Teacher application since you are already on staff.
All you need to do is have your initial teaching certificate registered in Human Resources. You can bring your certificate to the district office during regular business hours or you can email it to email@example.com.
After your certificate is registered, your status will be changed and you will receive an email copy of your registered certificate.
Contact Lisa in Human Resources at 402-436-1588 if you have questions about this process.
Substitutes are to read and be familiar with the Substitute Teacher Handbook – Guide to Successful Substitute Teaching. Be sure to review the Safety and Security section which includes information about standard response protocols, infection control, and food allergies and the Working with Students section with information on Reporting Child Abuse and Harassment policies. There is valuable information for substitute teachers throughout the entire handbook.
Substitutes are also responsible for knowing the information in the Hourly Employee Handbook. Substitute teachers are highly encouraged to review both handbooks annually. Links to both the Substitute Teacher Handbook and the Hourly Employee Handbook are found below.
Chromebooks will allow subs the ability to sign into Synergy to take attendance and to start a Zoom meeting room for each period. This ensures students are able to keep learning whether they are an in-class or a Zoom-in student. Substitutes will begin a meeting with Zoom-in students the same way classroom teachers do. The linked resources explain how attendance is entered.
- Synergy login instructions
- VIDEO: Synergy, Zoom, and Subs
- Taking Attendance in Synergy TeacherVUE
- Quick Cards
- Other Helpful Resources: LPS.org keyword REMOTE, Teacher Prep: Zoom-In Instruction
- Older Resources: Day Sub Using Synergy to Take Attendance, Using Synergy to Take Lunch Count, DAY Sub Accessing Sub Plans in Synergy, Example Sub Slip with Password
A long-term sub shares access with the teacher of record and should use the resources published on the SLIM page in the TeacherVUE areas.
Substitute Essential Information for Success
- Assembling a Sub Kit
- Helpful Tips for the Substitute
- LPS District Maps
- Note From Your Substitute Teacher – Elementary
- Note From Your Substitute Teacher – Secondary
- Parking Information for High Schools
- Report to Administrator by Substitute Teacher
- School Directory
- School Start/End Times
- Secondary/Elementary Teacher Calendars
- Mileage Reimbursement
- Substitute Salary Schedule
- Workforce Management (WFM) Payroll Schedule & Dates
- WFM Substitute Pay Policies
Substitute Teacher Advisor Committee, Conferences, and Important Dates
Technology as a tool used in teaching and learning is no longer a “sometimes” thing. It is an “every day” thing in LPS. These changes place new expectations on the substitute teachers who keep things running smoothly while our classroom teachers are away. Following are links that contain helpful resources for substitute teachers who are getting started using some of the most commonly used tech tools across LPS. Subs are also welcome to attend any workshop offered by Computing Services in the catalog. [Note: workshops held in the labs at LPSDO enable a computer for substitute use.]
Chromebook Orientation for Substitute Teachers: To further support instruction for LPS, substitute teachers are now required to check out a Chromebook from Computing Services to serve as their teacher device. Chromebook basic orientation/distribution sessions are offered throughout the year. If you are new to Chromebooks, the below link will provide additional information. Be sure to watch the Chromebook Orientation video embedded in the page. (LPS keyword YEOW)
To sign up for training via the LPS Professional Learning Catalog: Go to Professional Learning and log in. Search for Course number and register. (Substitute Teacher Laptop Pickup & Tech Orientation session #24195, Supports for Remote Instruction for Subs session #25323)
If you have questions regarding these sessions, please email Kristi Peters at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- District news and important resources for staff can be found on the LPS Staff Center. Included here are links to the Portal, CORE, Docushare, Zimbra Email/Calendar, Staff Directory, and more.
- Learn how to support student learning in your substitute placement LPS Student Supports: Effective Classroom Practices
- LPS Professional Learning
- Substituting in Specials presentation
- Effective Mathematics Teaching & Learning
- Language Arts for Guest Teachers
- Nebraska Department of Education
- STEDI Newsletter (subscribe to free biweekly substitute newsletter)
Substitute Teacher Applicants
Substitute Teacher applications are now being accepted for the 2021-22 school year. Please visit the job listings page to apply.
Please see the LPS Employment Opportunities web page to sign up for the Job Alerts weekly email of job listings.
To apply or view the current list of employment opportunities, click here to enter the Lincoln Public Schools Recruitment System. Carefully review the three substitute teacher applications described below to select the position you are eligible for (do not apply for more than one). Applying for the wrong position can delay the hiring process.
- Certified Substitute Teachers are individuals who hold a bachelor degree or higher in education (or will be graduating soon) and have (or are in the process of getting) a Nebraska teaching certificate. Some teaching certificate examples are: Professional, Standard, Initial, and State Substitute.
- Certified Substitute Teachers – Current, Former, or Retired Teachers are individuals who have been hired as certified employees (current or former) with Lincoln Public Schools. Must have a valid Nebraska teaching certificate. (This application does not require transcripts or retaking the Gallup survey as part of the application process.)
- Local Substitute Teachers are individuals who hold a bachelor degree or higher in something other than education or are teacher education students of senior standing preparing to student teach. This permit allows for a student teacher to sub for their cooperating teacher when absent.
In order to prevent processing delays of your application, when completing a substitute teacher application, please be sure to include email addresses for a minimum of three professional teaching references and upload your unofficial transcripts and teaching certificate. Original official transcripts and teaching certificate will be required for Human Resources at the time of hire.
You will also be asked to complete a Gallup online interview called the Teacher Insight Survey. After you submit your application, you will find a link for the Gallup interview located under the Application Status tab of your account.
Only complete applications will be processed and can take up to 4-6 weeks to finalize. Incomplete applications will be reviewed every two weeks and will be closed if still incomplete. Applicants will be notified via email when they are ready for hire.
Local Substitute Teacher Applicant Information
Local substitute teachers are those who hold a bachelor degree or higher in something other than education or are teacher education students of senior standing preparing to student teach.
Local Substitute Teacher Orientations
After applying for the Local Substitute Teacher position, applicants must attend a mandatory orientation before being considered for employment. Orientations will be held from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. via Zoom on the following dates:
- Thursday – April 29, 2021, 1st semester (Fall 2021) student teachers are encouraged to attend
- Wednesday – August 4, 2021
- Thursday – August 19, 2021
- Thursday – September 9, 2021
- Thursday – October 7, 2021
- Thursday – November 4, 2021
- Thursday – December 2, 2021
- Thursday – January 6, 2022
- Thursday – February 10, 2022
To register: AFTER you have submitted the LPS Local Substitute Teacher application, email the orientation date you would like to attend to Lisa Kasik at email@example.com with “Orientation Registration” in the subject line. Lisa will confirm your registration via email.
Teacher Education Students:
- Should attend an orientation session the semester prior to student teaching.
- Should attend an orientation session in a timely manner to allow the 6 to 8 week certification process to be completed early in the semester of student teaching.
- Meet the Nebraska Department of Education Human Relations requirement before applying to the NDE for certification.
- MUST complete the LPS Local Substitute application prior to registering for the orientation.
Human Resources support staff contacts:
- Certified substitutes (i.e. Teacher, Nurse, Psychologist, SLP): Lisa Kasik, firstname.lastname@example.org, 402-436-1588
- Paraeducator substitutes: Brittany Taylor, email@example.com, 402-436-1583
- OT/PT, Health Tech, Treatment Nurse substitutes: Stacy Grant, firstname.lastname@example.org, 402-436-1382
- Accompanist, Athletic Trainer, Campus Supervisor substitutes: Gina Cookus, email@example.com, 402-436-1587
- Office, Transportation, Food Service substitutes: Cherry Cornell, firstname.lastname@example.org, 402-436-1590