Benefit Information for New Hires
Dear New Lincoln Public Schools Employee:
Welcome to Lincoln Public Schools! Our mission is to serve and support all employees and their families by providing equitable and comprehensive benefits designed to ensure optimal health and engagement for all personnel at Lincoln Public Schools. The Benefits Team will do all we can to help you become informed of the opportunities and benefits provided for you as an employee of LPS.
Please review all of the information below very carefully. If you have questions, please let us know.
Please complete the Nebraska Public Employees Beneficiary form. This form has to be notarized so do not sign until you are in front of a notary. Within a couple weeks of starting employment, this form must be completed and signed in black ink and notarized. Social Security numbers of your beneficiary(ies) are required.
Vesting Credit: If you were employed with another Nebraska governmental entity prior to being employed with LPS, you have 180 days from your date of employment with LPS to make application for vesting credit. Contact the School Retirement System, phone 402-471-2053 if you have questions. It is your responsibility to have the application for vesting form properly completed and filed. Vesting credit is not included in the calculation of your benefits, and it is not a buy back.
- LPS uses an online enrollment system to enroll in the benefit plans that are provided.
- New employees have 14 days from your first day of employment to complete enrollment.
- Even if you are declining the benefits, you must go through the enrollment system.
- Be prepared with dependent(s) name, social security number, birthdate and address if adding to coverage.
- Note: As a new hire if you work at least 20 hours per week on a regular basis, you have the opportunity to elect disability coverage and term life insurance coverage up to $150k guaranteed issue.
- You will need to designate one or more beneficiary(s) for the death benefit that is provided at no charge.
- The health and dental eligibility date is the 1st of the month following hire date. Exception: If your employment begins on the 1st day of the month, health and dental benefits will begin immediately.
We recommend you print out the confirmation of your benefits when you complete the enrollment. Plan and premium information is provided as you go through the online enrollment system.