Local Substitute Information
Requirements for Obtaining a Local Substitute Teaching Permit for Lincoln Public Schools
Step 1: Lincoln Public Schools’ Requirements
- You must hold a bachelor’s degree (or higher) OR be a teacher education student of senior standing.
- Complete an on-line certified local substitute teaching application which can be found under employment opportunities on our lps.org website. (You must include your social security number and date of birth.)
- Upload your college transcript to the LPS application showing degree(s) or teacher preparation course work. (This will be an unofficial transcript.)
- Include at least three professional references with email address.
- Complete the Gallup TeacherInsight on-line interview following the link on the Application Status tab of your LPS application.
- After completing your online application including transcripts and three references, you can attend the required Local Substitute Teacher Orientation – PREREGISTRATION IS REQUIRED BY EMAILING RMEYER@LPS.ORG with “Orientation Registration” in the subject line.
Human Resources will conduct a criminal background check and will determine suitability to substitute teach based upon all of the above. If approved, Human Resources will then email a letter to the local substitute teacher candidate to send to the Nebraska Department of Education when applying for a local substitute teaching permit.
Step 2: Nebraska Department of Education Requirements
- Complete the Nebraska Department of Education’s local substitute teaching permit application and non-refundable application fee ($55) on-line at www.education.ne.gov/tcert. Provide the email address you check most often.
- Complete the residences in Nebraska for the immediate past 5 years on the on-line application listing all Nebraska residences in order OR complete two fingerprint cards provided by the Teacher Certification office and the non-refundable fingerprint processing fee.
- Submit an official college transcript which reflects completion of the required course work as determined by the Nebraska Department of Education.
- Submit an official transcript for a pre-approved course to meet the Human Relations Training requirement and a class related to education, school, or children. Approved classes can be found here or on the Nebraska Department of Education’s website.
- Submit a letter from Lincoln Public Schools requesting that you, as the local substitute teacher candidate, be granted a local substitute teacher’s permit.
If approved, the Nebraska Department of Education will email your local substitute teacher permit to you. The Local Substitute Teaching Permit is valid for three years and is limited to 60 days (57 days for LPS) of teaching in any school year. This type of certificate is valid for teaching only in the school system requesting the issuance.
Step 3: Onboard with LPS
When your local substitute teaching permit is sent to you by NDE, you’ll need to come to the LPS District Office (5905 O St.) to complete the following employment steps: (This information will be sent to you in an email, along with the letter for NDE, when all other steps of the hiring process are complete.)
- Form I-9: Please bring acceptable documents to complete this form in Human Resources. A list of acceptable documents will be sent to you in an email with the letter for NDE.
- Transcripts: Original/official transcripts showing your degree or undergraduate course work. Electronic transcripts are required to be sent directly from the college to Human Resources. Transcripts uploaded to your application or emailed by you DO NOT meet this requirement.
- Nebraska Teaching Permit: You must bring your teaching permit. We will register it and keep a copy for your file.
- Employee ID Badge: We will take your picture and issue your employee ID badge.
Once onboarding is complete, you will be eligible to substitute teach 57 days per school year in the LPS school district for 3 years.
2017-2018 Local Substitute Orientations
- Thursday, April 27, 2017 (Sheridan Lutheran Church – 6955 Old Cheney)
- Friday, August 18, 2017 (LPS District Office – 5905 O Street)
- Thursday, September 7, 2017 (LPS District Office)
- Thursday, October 5, 2017 (LPS District Office)
- Friday, November 3, 2017 (LPS District Office)
- Friday, December 8, 2017 (LPS District Office)
- Friday, January 12, 2018 (LPS District Office)
These orientations will be held from 8:00 am-1:00pm. PREREGISTRATION IS REQUIRED by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with “Orientation Registration” in the subject line.
Local Sub Orientation Packet
2016-2017 Local Substitute Pay Rates
- Full Day – $136.46
- Half Day – $72.02