Local Substitute Information
Requirements for Obtaining a Local Substitute Teaching Permit for Lincoln Public Schools
Step 1: Lincoln Public School's Requirements
- You must hold a bachelor’s degree (or higher) OR be a teacher education student of senior standing or above.
- Submit an LPS on-line certified local substitute teaching application which can be found under employment opportunities on our lps.org website. (You must include your social security number and date of birth.)
- Upload your unofficial college transcript to the LPS application showing degree(s) or teacher preparation course work. (This will be considered an unofficial transcript and does not meet the requirements in Step 3 below.)
- Include at least three professional (not family or friends) teaching references with email address. LPS requires a minimum of three teaching surveys returned. Recommendation letters are optional.
- Complete the Gallup TeacherInsight on-line interview following the link on the Application Status tab of your LPS application.
- Submit the Personal Disclosure Form application for additional background questions located in “Job Listings” on the LPS website.
- After completing your online application including transcripts and three references, you can attend a required Local Substitute Teacher Orientation – PREREGISTRATION IS REQUIRED BY EMAILING firstname.lastname@example.org with “Orientation Registration” in the subject line and indicating which orientation you would like to attend.
Human Resources will conduct a criminal background check and will determine suitability to substitute teach based upon all of the above information. If approved, Human Resources will then email a Superintendent’s letter to the local substitute teacher candidate to send to the Nebraska Department of Education when applying for a local substitute teaching permit.
Step 2: Nebraska Department of Education Requirements
- Complete the Nebraska Department of Education’s local substitute teaching permit application and non-refundable application fee ($55) on-line at www.education.ne.gov/tcert. Provide the email address you check most often.
- Complete the residences in Nebraska for the immediate past 5 years on the on-line application listing all Nebraska residences in order OR complete two fingerprint cards provided by the Teacher Certification office and the non-refundable fingerprint processing fee ($50.) List all Nebraska residences in order, even if you have attended a university, gone home for the summer and returned to a university.
- Submit an official college transcript which reflects completion of the required course work as determined by the Nebraska Department of Education.
- Submit an official transcript for a pre-approved course to meet the Human Relations Training requirement and a class related to education, school, or children. Approved classes can be found here or on the Nebraska Department of Education’s website.
- Submit a Superintendent’s letter from Lincoln Public Schools requesting that you, as the local substitute teacher candidate, be granted a local substitute teacher’s permit. Contact the Nebraska Department of Education at 402-471-0739 with questions about the permit process.
If approved, the Nebraska Department of Education will email your local substitute teacher permit to you. The Local Substitute Teaching Permit is valid for three years and is limited to 90 days (87 days for LPS) of teaching in any school year. This type of certificate is valid for teaching only in the school system requesting the issuance.
Step 3: Onboard With LPS
When your local substitute teaching permit is sent to you by NDE, you’ll need to come to the LPS District Office (5905 O St.) to complete the following employment steps: (This information will be sent to you in an email, along with the letter for NDE, when all other steps of the hiring process are complete.)
- Form I-9: Please bring acceptable original documents to complete this form in Human Resources. A list of acceptable original documents will be sent to you in an email with the superintendent’s letter for NDE.
- Transcripts: Provide original/official transcripts showing all degrees and/or undergraduate course work. Electronic transcripts are required to be sent directly from the college to Human Resources. Transcripts uploaded to your application or emailed by you DO NOT meet this requirement.
- Nebraska Teaching Permit: You must bring your teaching permit. We will register it and keep a copy for your file.
- Employee ID Badge: We will take your picture and issue your employee ID badge.
- Sign a form stating you are familiar with the LPS Substitute Teacher Handbook.
Once onboarding is complete, you will be eligible to substitute teach 87 days per school year in the LPS school district for 3 years.
2019-2020 Local Substitute Orientation Schedule
- Friday – May 3, 2019
- Thursday – August 15, 2019
- Tuesday – September 24, 2019
- Thursday – October 3, 2019
- Friday – November 8, 2019
- Friday – December 6, 2019
- Thursday – January 9, 2020
- Monday – February 3, 2020
Orientations will be held from 8:00 am-1:00 pm at the LPS district office. PREREGISTRATION IS REQUIRED by emailing email@example.com with “Orientation Registration” in the subject line. Submit the LPS Local Substitute Teacher application before emailing to register for the orientation.
Local Substitute Pay Rates
- Full Day – $139.20
- Half Day – $73.47