Google Workspace for Education
Google has a set of productivity tools called Google Workspace. LPS staff and students have access to these tools in our own domain (@class.lps.org). This allows us to use our regular LPS username and password to access Google accounts that have been set up for use in our private educational environment.
Access your Google tools via the LPS Portal. Once signed in you will find buttons that take you to any of the Google tools offered in LPS.
Do not create new accounts! There is no need to have students create external accounts to access resources and staff should not instruct them to do so.
Foundational Skills Checklist
You really need to have a good understanding of the various Google Workspaces tools if you want them to be useful as an instructional tool. Learn more about them by watching the introductory video then exploring the LPS resource linked below:
- LPS Google tools are available to all LPS Staff AND Students, at school and from home.
- LPS does not allow work created by students to be shared with people (accounts) outside of LPS.
- When sharing a Google Doc with colleagues you will be prompted to share it with their @class.lps.org email address. This is appropriate, as all @class.lps.org notifications are automatically forwarded to the staff member’s standard @lps.org (Zimbra) email account.
- When sharing with LPS students you may search for them by name, and Google Docs will share it with their 6-digit student ID@class.lps.org (ex: email@example.com).
Other Google Services
You can sign-in to some Google Services and mobile apps using your LPS Google Apps account. When prompted for your username, append class.lps.org to your username, i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note that not all Google services and 3rd party apps are accessible using your LPS Google account, and any app or service meeting the requirements laid out by the ITT Committee’s “Big 5 Questions” should be approved before use.
One of the strengths of the Google Workspace tools is the ability to easily share and collaborate on files. Before sharing with others, consider the information you are sharing. Who should, and SHOULD NOT have access to it?
Our LPS Google Drive is used by staff AND students. When you share a file with “Lincoln Public Schools” this gives all staff AND ALL STUDENTS access to the information.
Appropriate strategies for sharing files are discussed on our page Setting the Visibility of Google Drive Files:
As Educators we must recognize the importance of protecting the students and families we serve by maintaining data security. The connected “cloud” based nature of the Google tools is a strength, and also a point of concern. Please take a moment to consider these important questions and the thoughtful response Google has provided to them.
Google Tools Used in LPS
Add-Ons & Extensions
Many Google apps and the Google Chrome web browser offer the ability to “extend” beyond the default uses of the tool by installing “Add-Ons” or “browser extensions.”
- LPS Staff are welcomed to install Chrome browser extensions (as they desire) in order to complete the duties of their job.
- LPS Students may only install extensions that have been pre-approved by LPS. See the ITT Matrix for more information.
- LPS Staff members are welcomed to submit Add-Ons through the ITT process to have them approved for use.
- In most cases it is not appropriate to have students install Add-ons.