Free/Reduced Program

What does the Free and Reduced Program Offer?

The program offers free or discounted meals to those in need. Families may qualify based on income guidelines set-up by the US Dept. of Agriculture and the Nebraska Dept. of Education’s Nutrition Services.

How does a person or a family qualify for benefits?

Each family must complete a Lincoln Public Schools Free/Reduced Meal application. Based on income a family may qualify using several factors, including household income, number of persons living in household, and whether the family is currently receiving Food Stamps (SNAP), TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families), or FDPIR (Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations).

How to Apply?

The fastest and most convenient way to complete an application for your family is to complete the Free/Reduced Meal Application on-line. The on-line application allows our office to process your application quickly so that your family can begin receiving the program’s benefits faster. Completing the application on-line also reduces the risk of your application being lost or delayed in the mail, insures that your application is complete at the time you submit it and eliminates the need for postage. Applications may be submitted any time throughout the school year.

Assistance with the online application is available by calling (402) 436-1746, or by visiting the Nutrition Services Department or your school office.

To request a paper application contact the Nutrition Services Office at (402) 436-1746, visit us at 5905 O Street, Lincoln, NE 68510,  or pick one up at your student’s school. Our office is not responsible for paper applications that are lost/delayed in the U.S. or school mail. Completing the on-line application is highly recommended.

Free/Reduced Meal Application Eligibility Status Delivered Via E-mail

As part of Lincoln Public Schools endeavor to make information easily accessible to families we are pleased to inform you that your student’s free & reduced eligibility notification letter will be provided to you on-line. We believe that this will be a more effective and useful process for all our families, as well as serve as a wise use of school district resources.

You will receive an e-mail from “” with the subject line: “School Meal Benefits for Lincoln Public Schools”. In the e-mail you will be provided your eligibility letter, which you can view or print anytime throughout the school year. E-mail notifications will be sent in lieu of U.S. postal mail when you provide an e-mail address on your free & reduced meals application or if you have a valid e-mail address on file at your student’s school. Please allow up to 2-3 business days after submitting your online application or up to ten business days after submitting a paper application to receive your eligibility notification. Applications submitted without an e-mail address will be sent via U.S. mail.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) Email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Quick Links