LPS Athletics COVID Attendance Protocols
Lincoln Public Schools has worked collaboratively with the Lincoln-Lancaster County Health Department to update their winter sports attendance protocols following the release of the new Directed Health Measure. Starting Monday, Jan. 25, the following changes will be implemented at all LPS winter sports events.
All Attending should self-screen before attending. If not feeling well, please do no attend.
Face coverings will be required for all spectators at both indoor and outdoor activities.
Families may sit together, but should maintain a minimum of a 6ft distance from other spectators.
The number of fans for each competition is still limited by venue capacity, but can now include a maximum of four individuals per participant and is expanded to include immediate family and grandparents. To meet the guidelines on spectator limits, LPS is implementing the following: (Subject to change based on venue capacity and other variables. Changes will be communicated by schools.)
- Spectators = any person of any age, including infants, toddlers and children
- Number of household spectators per competition if venue capacity allows:
- Basketball = 4
- Wrestling duals/triangulars = 4
- Wrestling tournaments four or more teams = 0 – 2 (event specific)
- Swimming meet – virtual or a dual = 1
- Swimming meets with more than 2 teams = 0
- Diving only competitions = 2
The following has not changed:
- Only the designated home team Cheer and Dance teams will perform at home basketball competitions. In most cases, four family spectators per participant will be allowed to attend.
- Spectators may sit in their family groups of four, but individuals and family groups must maintain at least six feet of physical distance between other individuals and family groups.
- There will NOT be a student section for students to congregate and sit together.
- Multi-layer face coverings must be worn fully covering the mouth and nose by any spectator over the age of two-years-old at all times. Anyone not following the face covering requirement while inside LPS buildings will be asked to leave.
- Concessions will not be sold, and no outside food or drink will be allowed in LPS buildings.
LPS is working to provide livestreaming of most competitions for spectators. Each school has a YouTube Channel to provide free livestreaming. Some varsity basketball competitions will be streamed on KLKN-TV’s sports page: klkntv.com/LPSSports.
Schools’ YouTube Channels for Sports:
The following are the requirements for media wishing to cover LPS athletic teams:
- NSAA credentials are required, and you must sign in at the gate.
- Face coverings over the mouth and nose must be worn at all times.
- Contact the school athletic director for any questions.
If you wish to attend a practice or speak to a coach or athlete at school, please contact Jason Keese at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 402-436-1610. Jason will assist you in setting up the request with the school.