What is the Directory Information?
Directory information means information contained in an education record of a student which would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. The Lincoln Public Schools designates the following personally identifiable information contained in a student’s record as “directory information.”
Directory information includes, but is not limited to:
- Student’s name, address, telephone listing and the name, address, telephone listings (if not unlisted), e-mail address and work or other contact information of the student’s parent/guardian or other adult acting in loco parent or with authority to act as parent or guardian in educational matters for the student,
- School and dates of attendance,
- Student’s current grade,
- Student’s enrollment status (e.g., full-time or part-time),
- Student’s date of birth and place of birth,
- Student’s extracurricular participation,
- Student’s achievement awards or honors,
- Student’s weight and height if a member of an athletic team,
- Student’s photograph, and
- School or school district the student attended before he or she enrolled in the Lincoln Public Schools.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, the District does not designate as directory information personally identifiable information from students’ education records where the District determines that the disclosure to the potential recipient poses a risk to student safety or well-being, including but not limited to circumstances where the potential recipient is a registered sex offender.
Directory information does not include a student’s social security number or identification (ID) number. Directory information does include a student’s identification (ID) number, user ID or other unique personal identifier used for purposes of accessing or communicating in electronic systems, provided the identifier cannot be used to gain access to education records except when used in conjunction with one or more factors that authenticate the user’s identify, such as a personal identification number (PIN), password or other factor known or possessed only by the authorized user.
Directory information may not be disclosed or confirmed without the written consent of the parent/guardian or eligible student if a student’s social security number or other non-directory information is used alone or combined with other data elements to identify or help identify the student or the student’s records. As such, directory information may not be disclosed without the written consent if the release of such information would have the effect of disclosing non-directory information.
This information will be disclosed under the following provisions:
- At the beginning of each school year, the Lincoln Public Schools will publish the above list, or a revised list, of the items of directory information it proposes to designate as directory information. For students enrolling after the notice is published, the list will be given to the student’s parent/guardian or the eligible student at the time and place of enrollment.
- After the parents/guardians or eligible students have been notified, they will have two weeks to advise by a letter to the director of student services or by completion of an opt-out form that they refuse to permit the District to designate any of the information as directory information about that student. A parent or eligible student may not opt out of directory information disclosures to prevent the District from disclosing or requiring a student to disclose the student’s name, identifier, or institutional e-mail address in a class in which the student is enrolled; or to prevent the District from requiring a student to wear, to display publicly, or to disclose a student ID card or badge that exhibits information that may be designated as directory information and that has been properly designated by the District as directory information in the annual FERPA notice.
- At the end of the two-week period, such student’s records will be marked by the building principal to indicate the items the District will not designate as directory information about that student. This designation will remain in effect until it is modified by the written direction of the student’s parents/guardians or the eligible student.
The Lincoln Public Schools may provide access to directory information to any individual, company, agency or other entity.