Hāpara

Hāpara offers teachers three different, but valuable tools for working with students’ Google Drive and Chromebooks.

Dashboard provides a bird’s-eye view of student Google Workspace usage across your class, and greater access to & control over student Google Drive.

Highlights offers teachers a view of student and class web browser use, and the ability to focus or filter student work through management of browser tabs.

Workspaces are Teacher-created spaces that allow students to access lesson or project resources and submit evidence of their learning.

Login

Teachers can access Hāpara via the LPS Portal.

The ability for an LPS staff member to use Hāpara is based upon course schedules in Synergy. All LPS Staff can sign in to Hāpara. Only a “teacher of record” in an active LPS course (and the co-teachers) are able to see students in classes.

Course Folders in Drive

All LPS teachers and students will see Hāpara folders in their Google Drive, whether they use Hāpara or not. These folders are created automatically for each course the student in which the student is enrolled. Do not delete, remove, or rename the folder.

Student Dashboard

Student Dashboard helps students organize their digital school life, listing Google Classroom assignments by due date and any direct email messages from teachers. Student Dashboard has no direct ties to the Hāpara tools used by teachers. Students can access Student Dashboard via the LPS Portal. 

HAPARA STUDENT DASHBOARD

Hāpara Dashboard

Setup

No setup is necessary by the teacher. When a teacher logs in, Hāpara already knows the classes and sections to which that teacher is assigned.

• Teachers can add a co-teacher to any course in Hāpara. To do so, open the Class Info page and select “Add new” from the teacher’s section.

Note: Co-teachers need to be added with their @class.lps.org email account.

• Teachers and administrators can create class groupings outside of the Synergy courses available automatically to you. Learn more about teacher-created classes in the section below!

Student Panels

When a teacher opens a course, each student appears on the dashboard as an individual panel. The panel shows that student’s most recent Google Drive work. Dragging a mouse over the student’s work displays a thumbnail of their progress, as well as information about the document.

Sharing With Teachers

Students no longer need to actively step through the process of sharing work with the teacher. Teachers are automatically given Editor access to all work contained in the student’s Google Drive.

Smart Share

A Smart Share tool allows teachers to hand digital files to student Google Drive folders. This might be a copy of an existing document, a template for student work, or the creation of a new blank document ready to contain their work. Note that this share is not done in real time. Give it between 5-30 minutes to propagate copies before students need to see the files.

Gmail

By clicking on the Gmail tab, teachers can view email exchanged between the teacher & student, NOT ALL student email.

Teacher Created Classes

Teachers can create their own “ad-hoc” classes within Hāpara. This allows Hāpara to be used outside of the regularly scheduled courses in Synergy. This feature is especially useful for fluid grouping situations. Examples might be:

• Elementary classes
  • After school academic support sessions
  • School-sponsored clubs and groups
  • Tracking groups for counselors and/or administrators

How to Create a Class

1. In the Manage Classes screen, select the Add Class button
  2. Select the school where you want to add the class to
  3. Enter a name for the Class, then click Add Class
  4. On the Class Info page for the new Class, choose Add New to add teachers or students to the class. Teachers need to be added by email address (@class.lps.org) individually, students can be added either individually or in a comma separated list of email addresses (@class.lps.org).

Hāpara Highlights

In Highlights, teachers see a dashboard of student panels, just like in Teacher Dashboard. However, the content shown is not from Google Drive; it is from the Google Chrome web browser on their Chromebook.

For more in-depth information about Highlights use the links provided at the right.

Browser Tabs

Presented in the student panels is a list of browser tabs open on the student devices.

• Hover your mouse over a tab’s text to preview it.
  • Click the (X) to close the tab for the student.
  • Click the link icon or the Share Links button in the top right corner of the screen to open a new tab (with the web page of your choosing) for the student.
  • Refresh rate is typically within seconds

Activity Viewer

The activity viewer provides a dashboard and set of data around the class’ activities in Chrome. Teachers can feel welcomed to leave their own computer screen and move around the room without missing any digital activity. This information disappears once the teacher switches to a new class in Hāpara.

Current activity is presented as BLUE data, historical activity with ORANGE data. Clicking on data identifies student names.

Teachers can capture a snapshot (Snap) of the students’ activity on a site with a click. These snaps provide opportunities for positive supports or evidence of behavioral interventions which might be necessary. These Snaps live within the page for 7 days. At any time within this week, teachers can send feedback to either the student or their own inbox for later communications with administrators and/or parents.

Snaps allow a teacher to see:

• Date and time of the snap
  • URL being viewed by the student(s)
  • A screen image when the Snap was taken
  • Whether the Snap was unique activity, or whether multiple students visited this page.

Messages

Teachers are able to send pop-up messages to individual screens or all student screens simultaneously. This allows for positive encouragement or private corrections without disrupting the classroom work environment.

Guided Browsing

Hāpara offers two options to help guide student browsing:

Focused Browsing

The Focused Browsing tool allows a teacher to send tabs to student Chromebooks and restrict web access. Access can be restricted to a tab or set of tabs (up to 10) for a defined period of time. This can be helpful to limit the browsing experience for students, and to keep them focused on course-specific sites/tasks for periods of time. 

Find more detailed information on the Hāpara Focused Browsing, view tips for its use in LPS in the section below.

Filtered Browsing

The Filtered Browsing tool allows a teacher to restrict certain sites from student screens. Whereas focused browsing says students can only visit specific sites, Filtered Browsing says students can visit any website (allowed by LPS) except the teacher-decided list of sites. This could be useful if a curriculum game site is being overused by students, or if a teacher might want to block textbook sites, Google, Wikipedia, etc. for a specific class period. 

Pause Browsing

The Pause Screens feature in Highlights allows teachers to pause learners’ screens for a moment to get their attention. Screens can be paused for up to 15 mins at a time. More information can be found HERE.  

Scheduled Browsing

Teachers can plan ahead and schedule browsing sessions using the Guide Browsing button in the top right corner of the screen. Specific URLs can be scheduled to open (with restricted access, if desired) at specified times per period.

Have an online quiz planned? Teachers can schedule it to open automatically at the start of class, giving learners more time to work. Making sub plans? Teachers can schedule tabs to open, so learners have everything they need.

Learn more

Snaps

Focused Browsing Tips

If you have attended a Hāpara Highlights training, you will likely recall one of the major features of the tool is called “Focused Browsing.” It allows you to open one or more tabs (URLs) on the Chromebooks of students in your class. At the same time, you can focus your students on just the new browser tab(s) for a set period of time using the Focused Browsing feature. When a Focused Browsing session is active, students can’t open new tabs or browse to new sites or URLs. More information on how to use Focused Browsing can be found on this resource:

In many instructional situations, a teacher may want to be prescriptive in the URLs they provide to students during Focused Browsing sessions. Following are some examples that may be helpful in specific situations:

Suggestions?

Is a tool you use in Focused Browsing mode and you think others would benefit from the URLs as well? If so, please email them to Chris Pultz (@lps.org) for inclusion here.

Tools that are Always Allowed

LPS has configured a number of tools so that they are ALWAYS allowed for students, even during Hāpara focused browsing. The benefit of this is that teachers do not have to know or add the URLs required for these tools to work during focused browsing sessions.

• LPS Portal
  • Synergy StudentVUE
  • Zoom meetings

Google Classroom

Remember that Google Classroom is just the web site where you hand files in-and-out. In addition to the Classroom URL, they’ll need the address of any other necessary Google tools, along with linked web resources (see above).

Google Drive

Includes all items stored in Google Drive – PDFs, JPG, MOV, etc.

Google Docs

Includes Sheets, Slides, Drawings, Forms, etc.

Google Gmail

Google Forms

When focus browsing your students to a specific Google Form, you must use the specific URL (Preview link) of your Form, but you must also be sure to select the focus browse option that says Limit browsing to anywhere in these site(s). Otherwise, student responses will not save in the Form results.

ABDO Ebooks

Use this link to focus students to ABDO’s Digital Bookshelf. Be sure to choose that students can go to “The whole site” when creating the browsing session.

APEX eLearning

Use BOTH of these links (simultaneously) when focusing students to take any computer scored tests in APEX. Be sure to choose that students can go to “The whole site” when creating the browsing session.

AV2 Ebooks Sites

AV2 consists of a few different sites, each of which requires a different URL.

AV2 Fiction

AV2 Nonfiction

AV2 World Language

Blank Screen

Focusing students to this blank screen prevents them from browsing to any web pages. Useful when you need the room’s undivided attention for a moment, or if you have one student who has lost browsing privileges for a period of time.

This can also be accomplished using the “Pause Screens” feature in Hāpara.

Career Cruising

CPM Ebook

NOTE: Focused browsing to CPM may or may not work for you, depending upon the tools in CPM you want students to use. This tool requires an array of different URLS, depending upon the activities students may be doing in the tool.

The following URLs are needed if students will need the corresponding tool links:

Flipster

For schools with a paid subscription. Requires two URLs:

Lexia

Be sure to copy the entire URL above. If you are missing the LPS Site ID, students will be creating a new account instead of using their LPS credentials.

Lightbox Ebooks

Use this link to focus students to ABDO’s Digital Bookshelf. Be sure to choose that students can go to “The whole site” when creating the browsing session.

HRW Dashboard

Kami

Pear Deck

The Portal

The LPS Portal is unique. Since so many tools are accessed through the Portal, we always allow it for students. This means students will always have access to the Portal page, and it doesn’t need be one of the links you send in focused browsing sessions!

Students will not be able to open tools linked from the Portal unless you’ve allowed the specific tool(s) in the focused browsing session (ex. Google Classroom, etc.).

If you need the Portal’s URL for link sharing, use https://students.lps.org

Sora

Allowing students to use Sora requires two things. Focus them to this URL:

then be sure to select “Limit browsing to anywhere in these site(s).”

Synergy Assessments

Wonders

NOTE: Focused browsing to Wonders may or may not work for you, depending upon the tools in Wonders you want students to use. Reading Wonders requires an array of different URLS, depending upon the activities students may be doing in the tool. The following URLs are most likely to be needed, but your milage may vary.

Troubleshooting Issues

Most Hāpara issues can be easily resolved by following steps 1 and if needed, step 2 listed below. Continue to see more information on specific issues like "Student is offline" or "Student is logged into multiple devices."

STEP 1. Click on the Extension

Clicking the Hāpara Highlights Extension icon on the student Chromebook will run the diagnostic tool. The process of running diagnostics often resolves outstanding issues and no further troubleshooting is necessary.

To Run Diagnostics:

1. Open Chrome on the student’s device.
  2. Locate the Hāpara icon at the top right of the Chrome browser. Don’t worry if the Hāpara icon is visible but is grayed out – it still works just fine.
  3. Click on the Hāpara icon to launch the automatic self-diagnostic tool, which checks several common causes of issues and displays the results.

If using the student diagnostic test did not explain or correct the student issue, proceed to the next strategy – reboot.

Hāpara Diagnostic on Chromebook
Click for a larger view

STEP 2. Quick Reboot

A quick restart of the Chromebook usually corrects this situation. In the process of the restart, the user is logged out and logged back in.

To Quickly Restart a Chromebook:

Have the student press the Refresh button + Power Button at the same time. Both buttons are located in the top row of the keyboard. Refresh is over the 3-4 keys. Power is at the far right.

Student is offline

The troubleshooting steps above typically resolve the “Student is offline” error shown here.

Assumptions

If you are seeing the “Student is offline” error, we will assume a few things:

• that you are a teacher successfully logged into Hāpara
    (indicating that this is not a teacher login issue)
  • that you see panels for the appropriate courses and students
    (indicating that this is not an error in syncing Synergy data with Hāpara)
  • that you are in the Interact (Highlights) tab of Hāpara, and see the browser tabs or current screens of some students, but not all
    (indicating that this is not a network error on the teacher laptop, and that Hāpara Interact is working correctly)

If any of these assumptions are NOT true, please enter a Help Desk ticket indicating so.

Requirements

If these assumptions are true, the issue likely lies with the student Chromebook. For Highlights to work appropriately for teachers in Hāpara, the student Chromebook must be:

1. Awake
  2. Connected to the LPS wireless network (LPS Private)
  3. The Hāpara Highlights chrome extension must be working.

Student is logged into multiple devices

A student can be logged onto multiple devices (say two laptops) simultaneously. If the devices all have the Highlights extension installed, then the teacher will “see” both devices. Highlights can’t automatically choose which of the devices to display to the teacher. The teacher has to select one. Learn more here.

In some instances, the student may not know why they are signed into two devices. In other situations, a student may be signed into MANY devices. In these cases the student needs to sign out of all of the other devices they are signed into. This can be done through the student’s Gmail account by following these instructions, as shown in the image at right.

1. Open Gmail.
2. In the bottom right corner, click Details and then click Sign out all other web sessions.

Hāpara Workspaces

Hāpara Workspaces allow teachers to set up a digital “workspaces” for lessons or projects.

Workspaces are the only part of the Hāpara suite of tools that students can log into. Teachers see a “Master Board” of all activity in the class and have many editing options. Students see a simplified screen with only the items intended specifically for them.

Click on the “Getting Started Guide” at the right for a wealth of resources to get you started using Workspaces.

Boards
A “board” can be anything from a single lesson to a long term project, it is very flexible.

Cards
Within a board are “cards” which appear as individual tiles. Cards might be added under the Goals, Resources, Evidence or Rubric columns of the board.

Goals

Teachers can choose to add student goals or targets.

Resources

Teachers and students each have the ability to add resources

Resources can be Google Docs or links to web pages

Evidence

Teachers and students can both add evidence.

Teachers have the ability to

• copy materials to individual students, much like when using the “Smart Share” tool in Dashboard
  • set due dates
  • schedule items to be shared at specified dates in the future.

Students have the ability to share their evidence with the whole group, or with the teacher only.

Rubrics

Teachers can choose to post evaluation criteria.

Workspace appearance in Google Drive

Like Hāpara Dashboard, Workspace creates a folder in each student’s Google Drive. All work done by the student in Workspaces will be contained in that folder.

A teacher can choose to have their students drag their Workspace folder into their Dashboard course folder. Experience with early adopting teachers leads Hāpara to believe that most teachers will want to keep them separate.

Learn more

Google Classroom – Hāpara Overlap

Hāpara and Google Classroom have a number of overlapping features. Each tool excels in some ways. Both tools work with student’s existing LPS Google Docs (@class.lps.org) and teachers are free to use either tool as they see fit. Or, both.

In our basic testing, we are seeing success in using Google Classroom AND Hāpara hand-in-hand when you begin as such:

1. Start a Google Classroom Class and invite your students
  2. After students join your Google Classroom, have them open their Google Drive and drag the Google Classroom folder into the corresponding Hāpara created course folder.

At that point both teacher and students should be able to use the Google Classroom interface to access files & manage assignments. The teacher has the added features of using Hāpara for greater student device control and real-time views of work done in Google Drive. Win-win.