Computing Services

Hapara

Hapara offers teachers valuable tools for working with students’ Google Drive and Chromebooks.

Dashboard

Dashboard provides a bird’s-eye view of student G Suite usage across your class, and greater access to & control over student Google Drive.

Highlights

Highlights offers teachers a view of student and class web browser use, and the ability to focus student work through management of browser tabs.

Workspaces

Workspaces are Teacher created spaces that allow students to access lesson or project resources and submit evidence of their learning.

Login

Teachers can access Hapara via the LPS Portal.

The ability for an LPS staff member to use Hapara is based upon course schedules in Synergy. All LPS Staff can sign in to Hapara, but only a “teacher of record” in an active LPS course (and the co-teachers) are able to see students in classes.

Course Folders in Drive

All LPS teachers and students will see Hapara folders in their Google Drive, whether they actively use Hapara or not. These folders are created automatically by for each course the student is enrolled in, as well as each workspace their teachers set up. Do not delete, remove, or rename the folder.

Hands on with Hapara

Computing Services offers workshops about Hapara. Visit Performance Matters to find and sign up for a session.

If there are 10 or more in your building who would benefit from an hour of training on using Hapara Dashboard and Highlights, have your building Administrator contact Kristi Peters to schedule a training session in your building!

Hapara Dashboard

Setup

No setup is necessary by the teacher. When a teacher logs in, Hapara already knows the classes and sections to which that teacher is assigned. View this video for tips on renaming and/or hiding classes shown in Hapara.

• Teachers can add a co-teacher to any course in Hapara. To do so, open the Class Info page (last tab at the top of the Hapara window) and select “Add new” from the teacher’s section.

Note: the co-teacher needs to be added with their @class.lps.org email account or it will not work as desired.

• Teachers and administrators can create class groupings outside of the Synergy courses available automatically to you. Learn more in the section below!
Student Panels

When a teacher opens a course, each student appears on the dashboard as an individual panel. The panel shows that student’s most recent Google Drive work. Dragging a mouse over the student’s work displays a thumbnail image of their progress, as well as information about the document that a teacher may find helpful.

Sharing With Teachers

Students no longer need to actively step through the process of sharing work with the teacher. Teachers are automatically given Editor access to all work contained in the student’s Google Drive.

Smart Share

A Smart Share tool found along the top-right of the screen allows teachers to hand digital files out to student Google Drive folders in preparation for class. This might be a copy of an existing document, a template for student work, or the creation of a new blank document ready to contain their work. Note that this share is not done in real time. Give it between 5-30 minutes to propagate copies before students need to see the files.

Gmail

By clicking on the Gmail tab, teachers can view email messages exchanged between the teacher & student, NOT ALL student email.

Building Administrators CAN view ALL mail in a student’s LPS Gmail.

Learn more

Teacher Created Classes

Teachers can create their own “ad-hoc” classes within Hapara, allowing for Hapara to be used outside of the regularly scheduled courses in Synergy. This feature will be especially useful for fluid grouping situations at elementary school, after school academic support sessions for secondary schools, or school sponsored clubs and groups.

How to Create a Class

1. In the Manage Classes screen, select the Add Class button

2. Select the school where you want to add the class to

3. Enter a name for the Class, then click Add Class

4. On the Class Info page for the new Class, choose Add New to add teachers or students to the class. Teachers need to be added by email address (@class.lps.org) individually, students can be added either individually or in a comma separated list of email addresses (@class.lps.org).

Hapara Highlights

In Highlights, teachers see a dashboard of student panels, just like in Teacher Dashboard. However, the content shown is not originating from Google Drive, it is from the Google Chrome web browser on their Chromebook.

For more in-depth information about Highlights use the links provided at the right.

Browser Tabs

Presented in the student panels is a list of browser tabs open on the student devices.

• Hover your mouse over a tab’s text to preview it.
  • Click the (X) to close the tab for the student.
  • Click the link icon to open a new tab (opened to the web page of your choosing) for the student.
  • Refresh rate is typically within seconds
Focused Browsing

The focused browsing tool found within the Open Tabs button in the top right corner of the screen allows a teacher to send a tab or set of tabs to the entire class. Additionally, the teacher can restrict access to any other tabs for a defined period of time.

Find more detailed information on the Hapara Focused Browsing page offered at right, and view tips for its use in LPS in the section below..

Activity Viewer

The activity viewer provides a dashboard and set of data around the class’ activities in Chrome. Teachers can feel welcomed to leave their own computer screen and move around the room without missing any digital activity. This information disappears once the teacher switches to a new class in Hapara.

Current activity is presented as BLUE data, historical activity with ORANGE data. Clicking on data identifies student names.

Teachers can capture a snapshot (Snap) of the students’ activity on a site with a click, providing opportunities for positive supports or evidence of behavioral interventions necessary. These Snaps live within the page for 7 days. At any time within this week, teachers can send feedback to either the student or their own inbox for later communications with administrators and/or parents.

Snaps allow a teacher to see:

• Date and time of the snap
  • URL being viewed by the student(s)
  • A screen image when the Snap was taken
  • Whether the Snap was unique activity, or whether multiple students visited this page.
Messages

Teachers are able to send pop-up messages to individual screens or all student screens simultaneously. This allows for positive encouragement or private corrections without disrupting the classroom work environment.

Learn more

Snaps

Focused Browsing Tips

If you have attended a Hapara Highlights training, you will likely recall one of the major features of the tool is called “Focused Browsing.” It allows you to open one or more tabs (URLs) on the Chromebooks of students in your class. At the same time, you can focus your students on just the new browser tab(s) for a set period of time using the Focused Browsing feature. When a Focused Browsing session is active, students can’t open new tabs, swap to other tabs or browse to new sites or URLs. More information on how to use Focused Browse can be found on this resource:

In many instructional situations, a teacher may want to be prescriptive in the URLs they provide to students during Focused Browse sessions. Following are some examples that may be helpful in specific situations.

Suggestions?

If there is a tool you use in Focused Browse mode and you think others would benefit from the URLs necessary, please email them to Chris Pultz (@lps.org) for inclusion here.

Google Classroom

Remember that Google Classroom is just the web site where you hand files in-and-out. You will need to allow the Classroom URL, and also the address of any other Google tools you expect them to use, and any websites you may ask them to visit, even if you linked to it from a Classroom assignment. (see above).

Google Drive

Includes all items stored in Google Drive – PDFs, JPG, MOV, etc.

Google Docs

Includes Sheets, Slides, Drawings, Forms, etc.

Google Forms

When focus browsing your students to a specific Google Form, you must use the specific URL (Preview link) of your Form, but you must also be sure to select the focus browse option that says Limit browsing to anywhere in these site(s). Otherwise, student responses will not save in the Form results.

Google Gmail
Synergy Assessments

Pear Deck

HRW Dashboard

LPS OverDrive

Using LPS Overdrive with students requires 3 URLs:

• LOGIN:
  • BROWSE:
  • READ BOOKS:

Troubleshooting Highlights Issues

Following are troubleshooting steps that should resolve the “Student is offline” error show here (or a similar one) occasionally encountered by teachers using Hapara Highlights.

Assumptions

If you are seeing the “Student is offline” error, we will assume a few things:

• that you are a teacher successfully logged into Hapara
    (indicating that this is not a teacher login issue)
  • that you see panels for the appropriate courses and students
    (indicating that this is not an error in syncing Synergy data with Hapara)
  • that you are in the Interact (Highlights) tab of Hapara, and see the browser tabs or current screens of some students, but not all
    (indicating that this is not a network error on the teacher laptop, and that Hapara Interact is working correctly)

If any of these assumptions are NOT true, please enter a Help Desk ticket indicating so.

Requirements

If these assumptions are true, the issue likely lies with the student Chromebook. For Highlights to work appropriately for teachers in Hapara, the student Chromebook must be:

1. Awake

2. Connected to the LPS wireless network (LPS Private)

3. The Hapara Highlights chrome extension must be working.

STEP 1. Click on the Extension

Clicking the Hapara Highlights Extension icon on the student Chromebook will run the diagnostic tool. The process of running diagnostics often resolves outstanding issues and no further troubleshooting is necessary.

To Run Diagnostics:

1. Open Chrome on the student’s device.
  2. Locate the Hapara icon at the top right of the Chrome browser. Don’t worry if the Hapara icon is visible but is grayed out – it still works just fine.
  3. Click on the Hapara icon to launch the automatic self-diagnostic tool, which checks several common causes of issues and displays the results.

If using the student diagnostic test did not explain or correct the student connectivity issue, proceed to the next strategy, a quick reboot.

Click for a larger view

STEP 2. Quick Reboot

A quick restart of the Chromebook usually corrects this situation. In the process of the restart, the user is logged out and logged back in.

To Quickly Restart a Chromebook:

Have the student press the Refresh button + Power Button at the same time. Both buttons are located in the top row of the keyboard. Refresh is over the 3-4 keys. Power is at the far right.

Hapara Workspaces

Hapara Workspaces allow teachers to set up a digital “workspaces” for lessons or projects.

Workspaces are the only part of the Hapara suite of tools that students can login to. Teachers see a “Master Board” of all activity in the class and have many editing options, while students see a simplified screen with only the items intended specifically for them.

Click on the “Getting Started Guide” at the right for a wealth of resources to get you started using Workspaces.

Boards

A “board” can be anything from a single lesson to a long term project, it is very flexible.

Cards

Within a board are “cards” which appear as individual tiles. Cards might be added under the Goals, Resources, Evidence or Rubric columns of the board.

Goals

Teachers can choose to add student goals or targets.

Resources

Teachers and students each have the ability to add resources

Resources can be Google Docs or links to web pages

Evidence

Teachers and students can both add evidence.

Teachers have the ability to

• copy materials to individual students, much like when using the “Smart Share” tool in Dashboard
  • set due dates
  • schedule items to be shared at specified dates in the future.

Students have the ability to share their evidence with the whole group, or with the teacher only.

Rubrics

Teachers can choose to post evaluation criteria.

Workspace appearance in Google Drive

Like Hapara Dashboard, Workspace creates a folder in each student’s Google Drive. All work done by the student in Workspaces will be contained in that folder.

A teacher can choose to have their students drag their Workspace folder into their Dashboard course folder, but experience with early adopting teachers leads Hapara to believe that most teachers will want to keep them separate.

Learn more

Google Classroom – Hapara Overlap

Hapara and Google Classroom have a number of overlapping features. Each tool excels in some ways. Both tools work with student’s existing LPS Google Docs (@class.lps.org) and teachers are free to use either tool as they see fit. Or, both.

In our basic testing, we are seeing success in using Google Classroom AND Hapara hand-in-hand when you begin as such:

1. Start a Google Classroom Class and invite your students

2. After students join your Google Classroom, have them open their Google Drive and drag the Google Classroom folder into the corresponding Hapara created course folder.

At that point both teacher and students should be able to use the Google Classroom interface to access files & manage assignments, and the teacher has the added features of using Hapara for greater student device control and real-time views of work done in Google Drive. Win-win.