Kami: PDF annotation
Kami is a PDF tool that works with Google G Suite (Drive, Docs, Classroom, etc.). It allows for annotation, markup, digital signature, and split and merge of PDFs amongst other features. Teachers can view and annotate on PDFs in Chrome. Students can use Kami to complete worksheets individually or collaboratively on Chromebooks.
Know that Kami does not EDIT a PDF. It allows you to annotate on top of a PDF. This is not a knock on Kami – it offers fantastic features that can benefit any LPS staff member or student.
LPS has a District license that covers all LPS students and staff through our @class.lps.org Google Domain. When signing in to Kami, be sure to use that @class.lps.org account, or you are not actually using the account LPS provides.
Learn more about Kami’s features on their web site.
LPS Computing Services offer staff development sessions on Kami. Reference the LPS Staff Development catalog for upcoming sessions, or have a building administrator contact Computing Services to set up a training in your building!
Set Up Kami for LPS
The steps for installing can also be found in this image, as they are presented below.
1. Launch Kami
- Sign-in to the LPS Portal
- Search for, then click on Kami
2. Sign-in to Kami
- Sign in using your LPS Google account credentials (@class.lps.org)
- Accept the Terms of Service and Security Settings
- Complete the sign-in by selecting whether your role in LPS is that of a STUDENT or TEACHER
- Complete the initial sign-in survey
3. Modify Kami’s Settings
Kami’s default settings are not ideal. ALL TEACHERS & STUDENTS should consider making the following changes:
- Click the Settings option under your account name in the top-right corner of the Kami screen.
- Check “Automatically Save My Changes to Google Drive”
- Un-check “Automatically Load Files in Kami”
- Un-check “Subscribe to Newsletter”
- Click on the link to “Install to Google Drive.” Select your LPS Google account and allow the permissions needed.
4. Modify Google Drive’s Settings
Kami is not the default PDF tool for Google Drive. To ease frustration and guide Drive to the correct tool, ALL TEACHERS & STUDENTS should consider making the following change:
- In Google Drive, open your Settings by clicking on the gear in the top-right corner
- In Settings, Choose “Manage Apps” on the left side of the panel
- Beside Kami, choose “Use by default”
5. Install the Kami Chrome Extension
Installing the extension will add a handy button beside your address bar. It will open Kami app on a new tab when clicked. You can also get notifications, change settings and view account info using the Extension.
NOTE: The Kami Chrome Extension is installed for students by default. Students may still need to perform the settings changes as shown in steps 2-4.