The Independence Academy
The Independence Academy is a program for students with disabilities that provides students with relevant educational, life, social, and vocational/career experiences in business and/or agency settings.
To prepare students of transition age by teaching the knowledge and skills needed to facilitate a positive transition into adult living after high school
In the Community
Independence Academy utilizes an age-appropriate curriculum, community-based training, and integrated settings to provide students with a meaningful education. The community becomes an extension of the classroom, as it provides opportunities for skill development in the areas of communication, employment, independent living, and recreation. Students work, learn, and prepare in the community.
The student portfolio is a collection of materials that document and promote personal growth. The portfolio enables the student and others to analyze the student’s capabilities, focus on strengths, and develop strategies for areas of development, while planning for the future.
- School lunch is available
- Certified teacher and para support on site
- Dress code varies per site – required uniform at certain locations
- Site change each quarter – unless extended learning is needed
- Job experiences vary
- Annual IEP meeting
- Health services and related services
- LPS transportation services to site and home from site
- Transition services – partnership with Nebraska Vocational Rehabilitation
- M, W, TH, F -9:00 a.m.- 2 p.m.
- Tuesdays – PLC – 9:00 a.m.- 1 p.m.
Open House on August 10th
The Independence Academy Open House will be held Wednesday, August 10th from 4:30pm – 7:00pm at The Career Academy on SCC’s Lincoln Campus at 8800 O St
Please complete the following
Both PDF’s are fillable and can be electronically signed and returned via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, hand-signed and brought to open house or mailed to the address below:
643 S 25th St, Suite 11
Lincoln NE, 68510
Lincoln Public Schools Independence Academy
5905 O Street
Lincoln, NE 68510
Our Staff and Contact Info
Dr. Alisha Bollinger, Special Education Supervisor