Wellness at Lincoln Public Schools
Lincoln Public Schools and their community partners have been working to make strides in keeping our kids moving in the direction of healthy. A need for coordination and facilitation of these efforts was apparent and thanks to grant funding received through Partnership for a Healthy Lincoln, the position of LPS District Wellness Facilitator became a reality in the 2011-12 school year. Now LPS has the opportunity to take best practices occurring within schools and spread these efforts district wide, building policies for sustaining a culture of wellness long-term.
The Goals of LPS Wellness
- Build sustainable and meaningful practices that will impact the health, fitness and obesity rates of Lincoln’s youth
- Create a culture of wellness within the Lincoln Public School system that incorporates kids, families and LPS staff
- Develop meaningful policy changes that embed practices supporting a long-term focus of disease prevention and healthy living
- Incorporate current and new best practices in schools and share within the Lincoln community about these successes
Annual Wellness Board Report
Strategies of LPS Wellness
Staff Wellness Focus
Focus on staff wellness opportunities will be critical to setting great examples for healthy living. Who spends more wakeful hours with school aged kids each day than the LPS staff?
Family Wellness Focus
From grocery purchases, to lifestyle choices, to setting ground rules for daily living, families are key players in choices that impact long-term health.
Student Wellness Focus
The power of choice only grows each year as students become increasingly independent. Knowledge is a powerful part of students learning to make good choices from lifestyles, to foods and activity. Incorporating good modeling for students and guiding them to solid information about the impact of their choices is a key strategy for helping to build healthy citizens beyond high school.
Tools to Make LPS Wellness Real
Thanks to funding from an anonymous donation of $250,000 to the LPS Foundation, a new program entitled the LPS Wellness Challenge will kick off later this fall to support efforts of schools to improve the health of those touched by the school. The donation will fund the program for five years and focuses on creating measurable change in the fitness and health of the populations served by LPS.
You can contact Michelle Welch, Lincoln Public Schools Wellness Coordinator, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 402-436-1728
Get Wellness Wednesday in your inbox each week! Subscribe below:
- Submit School Wellness Investigation (SWI)
- Hard Copy School Wellness Investigation
- Schedule and Timeline for Wellness Champs 2019-2020
- Theme Days Ideas for Schools
- Ongoing Activity Success Update
- Wellness Policy 5505
- Wellness Champions Incentive Form
- Job Description - Wellness Champion
- Activity Success Updates.pdf