We’re looking for parents, grandparents, empty-nesters, lovers-of-libraries, people who get satisfaction out of organizing, bibliophiles, people who want to make a difference in their neighborhood schools, people with a mild addiction to the smell of books, and undercover superheroes!
Reasons to become a school library volunteer
- Help connect kids with great books!
- Support literacy in our community.
- Boost access to library resources.
- Learn about current books and authors so you can recommend titles to friends and family.
- Provide an important service to your neighborhood school.
- Fill out a volunteer application to let us know you’re interested.
- Indicate which school or neighborhood you would like to serve.
- Attend a brief training session, in which security forms will be submitted, job expectations explained, a schedule set, and thorough instructions provided on how to complete responsibilities.
- Start volunteering!
- Anyone over the age of 18 can apply.
- Must be able to push, pull, or lift at least 20 pounds.
- Must have strong attention to detail and sound appreciation for curious children.
Responsibilities may include:
- Checking in and checking out materials to students.
- Shelving items.
- Helping students locate books.
- Shelf reading (making sure everything is in alphabetical or numerical order).
- Small projects such as cutting, laminating, or material preparation.