Concussion Management Team
Following passage of the Nebraska Concussion Awareness Act-Amendment in 2014, Lincoln Public Schools (LPS) established Concussion Management Teams (CMTs) in all high schools during the 2013-2014 school year. By the end of the 2014-2015 school year, CMTs were present in all elementary and middle schools, as well. As awareness and knowledge regarding head injuries increased, LPS CMT support, identification and management improved. The current CMT process is as follows:
- Identify Early
- Manage Properly
- Prevent Second Impact Syndrome
- Manage Post-Concussive Symptoms
- Provide Academic Accommodations During Recovery
When managed well, recovery is quicker, and second injury is prevented. Upon receiving notification of a student’s concussion, the CMT will:
- Assess the student’s needs
- Create and implement a concussion management plan, with sound procedures that support the concussed student
- Monitor the effectiveness of the plan
- Adjust and re-adjust until the student no longer has special needs resulting from the condition
Following a concussion, there should be a period of both cognitive and physical rest.
The brain does not heal; it needs time to reorganize. Lincoln Public Schools follows research-based recommendations for Return to Learn (RTL) and Return to Play (RTP), directly from the latest research regarding head injuries. CMT members must also use clinical judgment in the determination of each stage of recovery, based on student symptom status. Every student and concussion is different.
- LPS CMT Color Progression 1
- LPS CMT Color Progression 2
- LPS ‘Home Information for Parent and Concussed Student’ form
- LPS ‘Home Instructions for parents and concussed athlete’
- Nebraska Department of Education (NDE) Bridging the Gap ‘Return to Learn’ progression
- Nebraska Department of Education (NDE) Bridging the Gap ‘Return to Play’ progression
- LPS ‘Why are Concussions Such a Big Deal?’ handout
- LPS Concussion Policy and Regulation Manual 6283
- REAP the Benefits of Good Concussion Management Booklet
LPS Concussion Management Team Guidance during COVID-19 Restrictions
LPS Concussion Management Team (CMT) District Leadership Team encourages CMT members to become familiar with the above guidance document regarding CMT and COVID-19 restrictions. This document outlines LPS CMT resources and additional guidance related to concussion management and remote learning, screen time, schedule changes etc. Please reach out to your building’s Core CMT members for further support.
Nebraska's Get School on Concussion TACT FREE TRIAL!
The Teacher Acute Concussion Tool (TACT) was developed as a way to deliver the Get Schooled On Concussions Return to Learn content into the hands of the classroom teacher.
- Direct Nebraska LINK
- Password: TACTnebraska2020