Connecting to WiFi at Home Using an LPS Student Chromebook
LPS Chromebooks are able to connect to the Internet from wireless networks (Wi-Fi) at home or in public. To access the internet from a non-LPS network, the Chromebook must first authenticate to our filter. This happens automatically, but may take a few moments in some situations. If the device is not authenticated to our filter it will run in “Offline Mode” and apps may not behave as expected.
If you do not have access to the internet, you can still access many of the resources necessary to complete schoolwork, like Google Drive and it’s productivity tools and many digital curriculum resources. See the Working While Offline section for more information.
Connect to Wi-Fi (away from LPS)
The wireless network you connect to must be open (no password) or one that you know how to connect to with a password. The connection is routed through the LPS filter to ensure that student access to the Internet adheres to district policy.
Students should use these steps to establish an Internet connection outside of the LPS network for the first time.
- Login to your Chromebook.
- Connect your Chromebook to wi-fi by clicking the icon in the bottom right corner of your screen and selecting the network you wish to join. (Follow these steps if you need additional assistance.)
- Launch the Chrome browser in the bottom left corner of the screen. (close any open windows before doing this)
- The LPS filter will load as a blue web page that says “Mobile Login.” Enter your LPS-assigned student ID and password to authenticate for away-from-LPS internet access to important instructional content.
IMPORTANT TO KNOW!
- Your computer should remember this network the next time you need to connect but you will ALWAYS need to go through the filter sign-in page (step 4) to successfully connect to Internet resources (including LPS Google Docs) at home.
- If you are connected to wi-fi but do not see items you expect to see in Google Drive, you may need to follow steps 3-4 above then refresh the Google Drive screen.
- The filter will time out after 1 hour of inactivity. Any time you are having trouble with a web page, refresh the page to re-authorize through the LPS filter.