7/10/2020 LPS Family Update
We understand there is great interest in how we will proceed in the fall. As you can probably imagine, there is a monumental amount of questions and details to consider. We are working closely with the Lincoln Lancaster County Health Department as we prepare detailed plans for each of the four risk color statuses of the COVID-19 Risk Dial. We are working as quickly as we can, but please understand this takes time and thoughtful consideration with new recommendations and information changing daily.
During the week of July 20, we will communicate with you more details about how we plan to operate within the framework of the four risk color statuses of the COVID-19 Risk Dial as designated by LLCHD and the City of Lincoln during the 2020-2021 school year.
We appreciate your continued support, patience and understanding as we endeavor to work together to create a safe learning environment for staff, students and our community.
Reminder: Information about the start of the 2020-2021 school year
Just a reminder that the first day of school will be as follows:
Wednesday, August 12 – first day of school for Kindergarten through 5, 6 and 9 grade students.
Thursday, August 13 – first day of school for students in grades 7-8 and 10-12
Monday, August 17 – first day for preschool
All schools will follow the PLC early release schedule for the first week of school (August 12-14).
Initial information about our plans to return to school were shared with families on June 16. You can find that information here.
Special Education Updates
Information for Special Education families will be emailed on Monday, July 13. Please watch for this email.
DATE CHANGE: Remote Learning (Zoom-in) Parent Permission Form opens July 21
If LPS is conducting classes under yellow or orange on the risk dial, parents of any K-12 LPS student may voluntarily elect for their child to participate in remote learning during the 2020-2021 school year. If the risk dial is in green, only students with an individualized plan developed in collaboration with school and district administration will be allowed to participate in remote learning. (Please keep in mind that just like our Standard Response Protocols, every LPS building or program which provides services may not always be in the same risk color category.)
If you choose to have your child participate in remote learning via Zoom, you will be required to fill out a form that will be available starting July 21. More information will be sent to families on July 21.
Students returning & retrieving items at school
Students have an opportunity to get their items left at school last year and return school items. An email from your principal will give you an exact schedule for the times you can come to your school. This is for students who were in grades kindergarten-4, 6-7, and 9-11 last school year.
NOTE: Students will keep their Chromebook and charger and bring them to school when they return in August.
In-person ceremonies at Pinnacle Bank Arena
We continue to work with the Lincoln Lancaster County Health Department and all plans are subject to change based on guidance from them. We will continuously re-evaluate our ceremony plans with LLCHD based on conditions and communicate with you if there will be any changes. We will follow the LLCHD guidelines for events to help keep students and staff safe and reduce the spread of COVID-19. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through all the details.
Friday, July 24
- Northeast High School, 6 p.m.
Saturday, July 25
- Southwest High School, 8:30 a.m.
- East High School, 1:30 p.m.
- North Star High School, 6:30 p.m.
Sunday, July 26
- Southeast High School, 12 p.m. (noon)
- Lincoln High School, 5:30 p.m.
For student and families attending:
- Each student will receive six tickets with assigned seats. Tickets will be required to enter. These tickets have been randomly assigned. Families will be able to pick up their tickets at their school’s main office on Wednesday, July 15 OR Friday, July 17 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. On the day of graduation, Pinnacle Bank Arena staff will be on hand to assist any person(s) needing accommodated seating.
- If you have any COVID-19 symptoms please stay home.
- If you, anyone in your household, or anyone you have had close contact with have recently tested positive for COVID-19, please stay home.
- Paid parking is available in the parking garages near Pinnacle Bank Arena to the south.
- In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Pinnacle Bank Arena will enforce its Clear Bag Policy during Lincoln Public Schools graduation ceremonies.
- Doors will open one hour before the ceremony. Please enter the main doors on the south side of Pinnacle Bank Arena (off R Street) and follow directions to the seating area.
- Face coverings for students, staff, family and guests will be required.
- Students will wear caps and gowns.
- Students will report to the main floor 30 minutes before the start of the ceremony.
- When students arrive, they will find their name card on their assigned chair (alphabetical order) and have a seat. Staff will be available to assist students.
- Students, when directed, will take the card on their chair with them to the stage and hand it to the pronouncer as they enter the stage.
- Staff will work with students prior to the ceremony on name pronunciations.
- The in-person ceremony will be livestreamed on the Lincoln Public Schools website and the LNK TV Education Channel.
Watch a pre-recorded virtual ceremony on 10/11’s MeTV Channel
In addition to the in-person ceremonies, pre-recorded virtual ceremonies featuring every LPS Class of 2020 graduate and scheduled speakers will air on Sunday, July 26, on 10/11’s MeTV channel.
The pre-recorded virtual graduations will follow the original graduation schedule:
- Northeast High School at 12:00 p.m. (noon)
- Southwest High School at 1:30 p.m.
- East High School at 3:00 p.m.
- North Star High School at 4:30 p.m.
- Southeast High School at 6:00 p.m.
- Lincoln High School at 7:30 p.m.
Food distribution through July
LPS Grab-and-Go meals: continue through July
Just a reminder we will have Grab-And-Go meals distribution every Monday through July from 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. at our 12 locations. Any family in Lincoln can pick up free meals weekly for their children ages 1-18. For more information about distribution locations, go to our website lps.org and enter keyword “food”.
Any family can pick up meals at these 12 locations:
- Arnold Elementary School
- Calvert Elementary School
- Clinton Elementary School
- Huntington Elementary School
- Saratoga Elementary School
- West Lincoln Elementary School
- Culler Middle School
- Goodrich Middle School
- Lefler Middle School
- Northeast High School
- Lincoln High School
- Park Middle School
From the Food Bank of Lincoln
Any family is welcome to pick up pre-packaged bags of food from the Lincoln Food Bank during their food distribution. More information about their schedule can be found here.
Do you have or know a child that will be five before July 31 and ready to start kindergarten? It’s time to register! Because of current health directives, we are only taking online registrations at this time. Please visit our website to start the registration process. You will need your child’s birth certificate to get started. If you have questions or can’t fill out the online application, please call your school.
LPS is hiring
Are you passionate and looking to make a difference? Lincoln Public Schools is currently hiring for the 2020-2021 school year. There is a large demand for bus drivers, transportation paraeducators, nutrition services staff and classroom paraeducators. If you or someone you know are looking for a new career, check out current opportunities on our website: https://home.lps.org/hr/employment-opportunities/.
Complete the 2020 Census Now
The 2020 Census is happening right now. Everyone living in the United States is required by law to be counted in the 2020 Census. You can complete your questionnaire online, by phone or by mail. Your responses are confidential and important. For more information go to 2020census.gov.
The MyLNK app provides a free, one-stop guide of resources in Lincoln. This app makes it easy for families to learn about, connect, and utilize services in our community. The MyLNK app works without a data plan or Wi-Fi. It is available to download for both Android and Apple phones. Click here for more information.
Updated July 10, 2020