Last LPS Early Childhood Family Weekly Update
This is the last regular weekly update email from Lincoln Public Schools. Over the summer, we will communicate information as it becomes available. Please continue to check your email for this information.
Celebrate Lincoln’s Class of 2020 on May 24 at 8:20 p.m.
We are asking for the community’s help in honoring and celebrating this year’s graduating class. On Sunday, May 24, at 8:20 p.m. (20:20 military time), we encourage everyone in Lincoln to step outside or open their windows to cheer this year’s seniors on what would have been the regularly scheduled graduation day for approximately 3,000 students. High school seniors will then be able to walk into their neighborhoods wearing their caps and gowns and hear the celebrations across the city.
Families and graduating seniors can share photos and videos of their neighborhood celebrations with Lincoln Public Schools to be displayed on a special website.
- Upload your photos or videos to our special webpage by: home.lps.org/connect/celebrate2020/. Simply click on “upload” at the top of the Live Stream box to see your photos added to others around Lincoln.
- Post your photos and videos to Twitter and Instagram and use #LNKGrad2020.
Join the conversation and watch the event unfold on our special webpage: home.lps.org/connect/celebrate2020/
Thank you for your help in celebrating the Class of 2020!
Thank you to everyone who shared their last week of school with us! Visit our special webpage to see all of your posts: https://lps.org/connect/lastday2020/
One of the very best ways we can help our kids be successful in school is to keep them busy reading outside of school. Your school libraries have great resources and activities to help keep kids engaged in reading, writing, and creating all summer long.
- Check out the Library Learning Challenges website. Library Services will continue to publish new Learning Challenges for all grade levels each week, and over 150 exciting pages of previous challenge themes and activities will be available to students and families throughout the summer.
- Students will still be able to access the read-aloud story times created by teachers at each school. If you haven’t seen some of the amazing work teachers have done to connect to students through stories, you can see all the submissions for each school HERE.
- The LPS digital library never closes! Students and families have access to over 40,000 high-interest ebook titles in Sora, and thousands more in MackinVia and TumbleBooks. You can access all our digital books from this website.
- Your libraries also offer digital newspapers and magazines through our databases. Go to your school library website to see all the digital options available to families year-round. Home access links and passwords can be found HERE and on your school library website. Reach out to your school librarian with questions!
LPS Grab-and-Go meals: Through the month of June!
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the Memorial Day holiday on May 25, we will move distribution to Tuesday, May 26.
Any family can pick up free meals weekly for their children ages 1-18 every Monday from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. For more information about distribution locations, go to our website lps.org and enter keyword “food”. Right now we plan to continue serving meals every Monday through June.
From the Food Bank of Lincoln
Any family is welcome to pick up pre-packaged bags of food from the Lincoln Food Bank during their food distribution. More information about their schedule can be found here.
Kindergarten Registration & Assessment
Do you have or know a child that will be five before July 31 and ready to start kindergarten? It’s time to register! Because of current health directives, we are only taking online registrations at this time. Please visit our website to start the registration process. You will need your child’s birth certificate to get started. If you have questions or can’t fill out the online application, please call your school.
The MyLNK app provides a free, one-stop guide of resources in Lincoln. This app makes it easy for families to learn about, connect, and utilize services in our community. The MyLNK app works without a data plan or Wi-Fi. It is available to download for both Android and Apple phones. Click here for more information.
Updated May 22, 2020