LPS Counselors, Social Workers, Psychologists and Psychotherapists available
Due to the unprecedented situation we are facing at this time, LPS is implementing Zoom conferencing so that our school counselors, school social workers, school psychologists, and psychotherapists can connect with students and parents/guardians.
Students/Families are able to connect remotely through their LPS email or through Zoom video conferencing. We understand that Zoom offers many advantages over simply using email, but does not replace face-to-face meetings and some information may be missed or misunderstood. In addition, sensitive issues may not be appropriate for a Zoom conference because privacy and confidentiality cannot be guaranteed.
Students in middle schools and high schools will be able to email their school counselor, school social worker, school psychologist, or psychotherapist directly. If they would like to request a Zoom meeting, the student sends an email to the school counselor, school social worker, school psychologist, or psychotherapist who will arrange the appointment time and send the Zoom invitation to the student’s LPS email. Elementary students who wish to connect will need to work with a parent/guardian to set this up. Please note that all Zoom conferences need to be scheduled ahead of time by email.
A few reminders about Zoom conferencing:
- Professionalism during Zoom conferences is expected from both the school professional and the student/family just as if the meeting was happening at school.
- Zoom conferences are not to be recorded.
- Even though the Zoom meeting will be conducted from a semi-private location, privacy and confidentiality cannot be guaranteed. For this reason discussing sensitive topics is discouraged.
- Zoom conferencing with your LPS school counselor, school social worker, school psychologist, or psychotherapist is not therapy and should not be considered such.
- Internet connections can be unstable and cause difficulties. Anticipate that there may be problems connecting or maintaining a connection and that a Zoom conference might not be possible due to technical issues.
- Students should try to ensure that Zoom conferences take place in a quiet, private location. If the school professional feels that a professional environment does not exist, he/she can end the Zoom conference and the student can reschedule.
- All staff and students must follow all LPS policies including those regarding computer use. (See Board Policies 6441.1 and 1105 for more details.)
- Students will be able to use their Chromebooks to respond to a Zoom conference invitation.
- HERE is a link with instructions and a short video about connecting through Zoom once an appointment is scheduled.
As always, if the school counselor/school social worker/school psychologist/psychotherapist feels that the student is in danger of harm or of harming someone else, appropriate reports will be made as required by law.
HERE is a list of LPS school counselors, school psychologists, school social workers, and psychotherapists with email addresses
Updated April 26, 2020