Distribution information to Lincoln Public Schools students
Lincoln Public Schools will cooperate – to a reasonable extent – for community, nonprofit organizations to distribute information about enrichment opportunities available to students.
Information from outside organizations must have approval before using LPS channels to distribute information to LPS students. Rules and regulations for distribution approval of these materials are designated in LPS policy approved by the Lincoln Board of Education.
Regulations include the following:
- Non-profit, youth-serving organizations are permitted to distribute flyers, brochures and posters promoting events for youth. (No stickers, please.) They are only allowed to distribute to a limited number of schools (3) – and must name those schools. They are allowed one flyer per semester. No flyers can be sent home with students the first and last week of school.
- When an outside organization asks to distribute flyers through the school’s take-home folders, they cannot choose to separate that distribution by gender or grade. In other words, they cannot decide to target girls or boys, or just one grade level – they must distribute to every student. Organizations can choose to distribute to oldest and only so every family receives the information.
- Non-profit, youth-serving organizations that want to distribute information to all elementary, middle or high school students are encouraged to purchase space in Community News, a non-profit publication circulated to elementary and middle school students. Call 436-1610 for more information.
- Materials with political or religious content – materials that proselytize or evangelize – will not be approved for distribution, nor will materials containing art or composition which is in bad taste or otherwise inappropriate for distribution to students.
- No for-profit logos, coupons or offers are allowed.
- All materials distributed must carry the following disclaimer: “This event is privately-sponsored and is neither sponsored nor endorsed by Lincoln Public Schools.”
Organizations must call Communications Services at 436-1610 to obtain permission to distribute information in LPS. A copy of the materials to be distributed will be reviewed by LPS Communications staff and, if approved, a copy must remain on file in the Communications office.
Non-profit, youth-serving organizations that want to distribute information to all elementary or middle school students are encouraged to purchase space in Community News, a non-profit publication created by LPS for distribution to all elementary and middle school students. No commercial advertising is included in this publication.
Outside organizations can request Student Directory information from Student Services and use their resources to contact families about their events.
Call 436-1610 for more information.
Director of Communications
firstname.lastname@example.org | 402-436-1609
P.O. Box 82889
Lincoln, Nebraska 68501