Local Substitute Information
Requirements for Obtaining a Local Substitute Teaching Certificate for Lincoln Public Schools
Step 1: Lincoln Public Schools’ Requirements
- You must hold a bachelor’s degree (or higher) OR be a teacher education student of senior standing.
- Complete an on-line certified local substitute teaching application which can be found under employment opportunities on our lps.org website. (You must include your social security number and date of birth.)
- Upload your college transcript to the application showing degree(s) or teacher preparation course work.
- Include at least three references with email addresses.
- Complete the Gallup TeacherInsight on-line interview.
- After completing your online application including transcripts and three references, you can attend the required Local Substitute Teacher Orientation – PREREGISTRATION IS REQUIRED BY EMAILING RMEYER@LPS.ORG with “Orientation Registration” in the subject line.
Human Resources will conduct a criminal background check and will determine suitability to substitute teach based upon all of the above. If approved, Human Resources will then send a letter to the local substitute teacher candidate to take to the Nebraska Department of Education when applying for a local substitute teaching certificate.
Step 2: Nebraska Department of Education Requirements
- Complete the Nebraska Department of Education’s local substitute teaching certificate application and non-refundable application fee ($55) on-line at www.education.ne.gov/tcert.
- Complete the residences in Nebraska for the immediate past 5 years on the on-line application OR records of residence form OR complete two fingerprint cards provided by the Teacher Certification office and the non-refundable fingerprint processing fee.
- Submit an official college transcript which reflects completion of the required course work as determined by the Nebraska Department of Education.
- Submit an official transcript for a pre-approved course to meet the Human Relations Training requirement OR a written, verified narrative of employment experience which provided you with the opportunity to acquire the six skills outlined by the Teacher Certification Office.
- Submit a letter from Lincoln Public Schools requesting that you, as the local substitute teacher candidate, be granted a local substitute teacher’s certificate.
If approved, the Nebraska Department of Education will email your local substitute teacher certificate to you. The Local Substitute Teaching Certificate is valid for three years and is limited to 45 days (42 days for LPS) of teaching in any school year. This type of certificate is valid for teaching only in the school system requesting the issuance.
Step 3: Onboard with LPS
When your local substitute teaching certificate is sent to you by NDE, you’ll need to come to the LPS District Office (5905 O St.) to complete the following employment steps: (This information will be sent to you in an email when all other steps of the hiring process are complete.)
- Form I-9: Please bring acceptable documents to complete this form. A list of acceptable documents will be sent to you in an email.
- Transcripts: Original/official transcripts showing your degree or undergraduate course work.
- Nebraska Teaching Certificate: You must bring your teaching certificate. We will register it and keep a copy for your file.
- Employee ID Badge: We will take your picture and issue your employee ID badge.
Once onboarding is complete, you will be eligible to substitute teach 42 days per school year in the LPS school district for 3 years.
2015-2016 Local Substitute Orientations
- Friday, August 21, 2015 (LPS District Office – 5905 O Street)
- Friday, September 11, 2015 (LPS District Office)
- Friday, October 2, 2015 (LPS District Office)
- Friday, November 6, 2015 (LPS District Office)
- Friday, December 11, 2015 (LPS District Office)
- Friday, January 15, 2016 (LPS District Office)
These orientations will be held from 8:00 am-1:00pm. PREREGISTRATION IS REQUIRED by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with “Orientation Registration” in the subject line.
2014-2015 Local Substitute Pay Rates
- Full Day – $133.44
- Half Day – $70.43